Public Works Department Banner, This link takes you back to home page



Some businesses with small quantities of hazardous waste may qualify as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG). Businesses generating hazardous waste in excess of the regulatory limits for CESQG may not use HHW Facilities. The Program is designed to provide an inexpensive hazardous waste disposal option to these companies, non-profits and other entities instead of contracting with a commercial hazardous waste management firm.  

Step 1: Determine if You Qualify

State and Federal hazardous waste laws limit the use of household hazardous waste collection programs to households and those businesses that generate less than 100 kilograms (about 27 gallons or 220 lbs.) of hazardous waste per month and less than 1 kg of extremely hazardous waste per month (40 CFR 261.5 & CA Health & Safety Code 25218-25218.12).

Some businesses do not generate waste on a regular basis, but do have paint or other wastes lying around. So, even if you want to “clean up” the office, you may generate small amounts of hazardous waste. Such businesses are also considered a CESQG.

Step 2: Obtain a California EPA ID Number

If your business qualifies as a CESQG, certain legal requirements will apply to your business, including hazardous waste storage amounts, transportation limits, and State EPA Identification numbers. 

Getting an EPA ID Number  -  Generator Requirements Summary Chart

Step 3: Determine Where to Take Your Waste

Businesses that qualify as CESQG may use the County HHW Facility at Buena Vista at a small cost.


CESQG waste is not accepted at the City of Santa Cruz site on Dimeo Lane or the Ben Lomond Transfer Station.

Not available to City of Watsonville Businesses

Call (831) 768-3133 for information.

Step 4: Make an Appointment

The cost of disposal depends on the type and the size of the container of waste you have.  For the most part, these fees will be considerably lower than that of a licensed commercial hazardous waste hauler.

Wastes accepted and associated costs are listed in the CESQG Fee Schedule

TRANSPORTATION LIMITS: The maximum amount you can transport to the HHW is 15 gallons liquid or 125 pounds solid of hazardous materials per vehicle trip.  These requirements are due to storage capacity limits, state regulations, and for your safety.

ATTENTION: Place HHW with their original containers into a plastic bin or box lined with a plastic trash can liner - this will keep the HHW from tipping or leaking (containers may not be returned).  Please do not pour or place free liquids or solids into plastic bags for disposal.

Acceptance of materials is determined by HHW staff. Items that are considered not acceptable will be returned to the customer.  


Latex & oil-based paints NO Latex or oil based paint greater than 15 gallons per visit.  Visit PaintCare's take back program for additional locations.

Motor oil, oil filters & antifreeze - limit of 5 gallons per visit

NO Motor oil greater than 5 gallons per visit.  Visit CalRecycle's oil take back program for additional locations.

Fluorescent tubes & bulbs - limit of 25 tubes/bulbs per visit

NO Medicines or sharps.  Visit Med-Project to safely dispose of medicines and sharps.
Cleaning products NO Reactive wastes
Solvents & flammable liquids NO Radioactive materials
Emergency road flares NO Explosives or ammunition (includes marine flares)
Non-empty aerosols NO Compressed gas cylinders over 1 lb
Automotive products  
Pesticides and herbicides  
Pool, hot tub, & spa chemicals  
Photo chemicals  
Thermometers & other mercury-containing devices  
Household Batteries (alkaline, button batteries, nickel-cadmium)  


2024 Holiday Schedule

Buena Vista Location 

1231 Buena Vista Dr.,
Watsonville, CA

(831) 454-2430 or
(831) 454-5153

County Landfill
Open every Mon.,

Tues., Thurs.,
Fri., & Sat.
7:30 am - 3:30 pm

Open every Wed.,
7:30 am - 2:30 pm

Buena Vista Household
Hazardous Waste
Open every Wed.,
7:30 am - 2:30 pm
Open every Fri., & Sat.
7:30 am - 3:30 pm

(831) 454-2606

Ben Lomond Location 

9835 Newell Creek Rd.,
Ben Lomond, CA

(831) 454-2430 or

(831) 454-3951


County Transfer Station
Open every Mon.,

Tues., Thurs.,
Fri., & Sat.
7:30 am - 3:30 pm

Open every Wed.,
7:30 am - 2:30 pm

Ben Lomond Household Hazardous Waste
Open every Thurs.
7:30 am - 3:30 pm

(831) 454-2606

Other Household Hazardous Waste 

City of Santa Cruz Resource Recovery Facility
Open every Sat.
7:30 am - 3:30 pm

605 Dimeo Lane
Santa Cruz, CA

(831) 420-6270

Santa Cruz County
Solid Waste & Recycling
Main Office

701 Ocean St., Room 410
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 454-2160

Email Public Works